2.24.2020

Haiku my Heart - What's In YOUR Heart?


near a high cliff face
eagles glide the wind currents
forever alert

source  dreamstime.com


linked with
Please visit and join the love



Lately I have had thoughts of Mother Nature's defenseless  babies, probably because its baby bird "season", and Miss Charli has already presented me with an egg. 

In my neighborhood, in every neighborhood, there are rats. You may never see them and that's a good thing. But sometimes  you do. Please don't put out rodentacides to kill them. Remember that birds of prey, like owls, hawks, etc. eat small animals, like rats and mice, and when the rodent is poisoned and the mother bird takes it back to the nest and feeds her babies, they die. It happened just recently in South Florida in one of the nest cams. Someone put out rat poison, and it killed a baby eagle. 

There are other ways to get rid of rats. One very good way is peppermint oil, or even peppermint plants. They hate it and wont come around. Also, one can use humane traps. I use peppermint oil on my fence. I have to replace the oil after a rain, but at least I am not killing baby birds.

And....poisoned rats are eaten by ground animals as well, Dogs, racoons, etc. 

Thanks for reading my rant. I know you don't want to kill baby birds. Birds are so very important to our eco system. Plus, they are cute!!

source internet Decorah eagle D18

Blessings 









12 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of birds, and the animal world more generally.
    I am almost always a huge foe to poison. Particularly indiscriminate poison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Charlie is having a baby!? Oh wow, I had no idea this was a possibility. I mean, I didn't know she was even mating. What happens next?

    I'm right there with you when it comes to using poison to get rid of unwanted things. Around here, they keep using herbicide to poison weeds and then wonder why other things die, too.

    Makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh to catch the current of your haiku... just beautiful Judie! And that wasn't a rant, but important information. Everything is connected and we are seeing and feeling the tilt of being out of balance. You don't want to get me started on things a happening here... you said it all very well. Here's to eggs hatching, or wishing they would hatch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Majestic photo and haiku ~ important to take care of our feathered friends ~ Xxx

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer not to kill a thing when it is possible to just relocate them with minimal fuss and damage. We had mice in our attic after one particularly severe winter storm, and they got moved to the local nature center.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could be as carefree as the eagle in your haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is good advice, as well as a lovely picture and Haiku.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are sincerely appreciated. Knowing you have been here is what keeps me posting. Thank you for taking the time.