7.19.2019

Haiku my Heart - and More


in the raked leaf pile
a soft rustling sound beneath
where small brown birds play

Image result for small brown bird in leaves
photo source: internet

linked with
Please visit and bring your
own haiku to share..or just visit

It isn't Fall, of course but for some reason I have leaves on my mind. Old leaves, dying leaves, crispy ones. Here is a poem I wrote some other time when I had leaves stirring around my brain. Their life cycle is so much a part of nature's beauty. I hope you enjoy.


JOURNEY OF A DYING LEAF

high on a mountain
a leaf – in its golden years
assisted by the breath of Zephyr
floats down
away from the withering branch
its home for a season
landing below on a narrow winding stream



the mountain stream
carrying with it the spirit of Mother Nature’s
grandest intentions
 hurries around small rocks and pebbles
its gurgle and bubble competing with nearby birdsong
rushing through sparkling sunlight
invading small shade-dappled coves



the leaf
swirls in twisting eddies in the stream’s declining path
rushing past water-sculpted boulders
the faces of which have borne centuries of currents
smooth surfaces once sharp
and the leaf rides the rushing waters – now a wider river
unable to resist – tumbling over and over



the river -  fed by the blessing of rain
louder and more furious
moves more quickly in its ever deepening descent
the leaf -  twisting and turning in its dying moments
disappears forever over the mountain’s rocky face
in a powerful – cascading – misty
waterfall



10 comments:

  1. WOW! Your writing is awesome. Precious haiku and your poem is beautiful. Also love your blog header art. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that bird-leaf sound. I can hear it in my mind as I write this to you, Judie. And your leaf poem is incredible, what a journey and connection with nature. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see birds--and all creatures--playing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am sitting here right before a new sunrise. the birds are just beginning as the dark curtain of night lifts her petticoats to a new day. to sit, in the peace of this...where each day i am faced with my aging mother's journey's past her golden years. how uplifting it is to follow your leafs life cycle and final letting go. nature gives us this grace, this beauty all entwined in what translate to grave loss in the world of humans. when i thank you for the peace and sheer beauty of your poem-i thank you even more for the healing and reflection you have brought me as i navigate the great letting go. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post
    and I have leaves falling from a tree next to the deck because of too much rain in the past months ~ so leaves have been on my mind along with the dear sweet sparrows that seem to like the geraniums on the deck ~ nature knows more than we do ~ thanks for your lovely haiku ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. An epic moment, the path of a leaf... It makes me think of a moment in one of my favorite Doctor Who episodes: "this exact leaf had to grow in that exact way, in that exact place, so that precise wind could tear it from that precise branch, and make it fly into this exact face. At that exact moment. And if just one of those tiny little things never happened, I’d never have met you. Which makes this the most important leaf in human history."

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the midst of Summer you brought Autumn sounds, and since Autumn is my fave season, I love it! Can't wait till this hot Summerdays are over and the leaves turn orange,yellow and brown again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off that beautiful painting on the side bar- the girl with the parrot - wow! And your poetry is so filled with beautiful words i can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luv the fact that the leaves fallen bring delight still to those playful birds

    Happy Sunday

    Much❤🕊❤love

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your art and I love your words! Your soul speaks in such beautiful ways! Thanks for being you! Big Hugs! (I have to get back to instagram!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are sincerely appreciated. Knowing you have been here is what keeps me posting. Thank you for taking the time.