8.16.2019

Haiku my Heart - Shorebirds


sandpipers running
scooping up some biofilm
a nutritious snack

(eeeww)😋

linked with
Rebecca and Friends
Please visit and join in


I know, it sounds gross, but....
it has lots of nutritious bacteria in it
that is good for the birds.



* "When eating biofilm, the birds move more slowly than they do when eating invertebrates, because there is no need to sneak up on the immobile biofilms. The birds simply place their open bill tips on the surface of the mud and collect a tiny ball of biofilm, then raise their still slightly open bill out of the mud and swallow the droplet, leaving behind tiny doubled impressions of their bill tips on the surface of the mudflat."



*Cornell Lab of Ornithology

I think that's just really neat!



Thanks for stopping by.
Go with love in  your heart.


















12 comments:

  1. Birds know best! Happy scooping, sandpipers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the birds on your header Sandpipers?
    Very cute painting.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm quite convinced birdies find some of what we eat gross (not to mention offensive to their existence). So, scoop away. And keep on working on those feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely haiku and wonderful post about the birds eating biofilm ~ ^_^

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart birds. How wonderful is our creator
    Happy Sunday Judie, thanks for dropping by my blog

    Much❤🕊❤love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Judie and learning about these clever birds! Run sandpipers, run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my part of the world, sandpipers are protected - a beach near my home was closed for the people last month so the birds could live and breed there and it worked: there were nests, eggs and young birds now... I just love sandpipers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear judie, i am certain you are the greatest bird lover i know! thank you for always singing their praises and working in their behalf.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the birds on your header.
    Great Haiku and interesting information about these birds, thanks.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haiku are beyond me, and I love yours.
    And am a huge fan of birds. Less wasteful and more beautiful than our species.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful Haiku. I can visualize the birds. Interesting facts about the sandpipers Though, I did think , ewww, gross. 😺

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really neat! Still gross! LOL! Your painting in your banner, is that sandpipers? Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are sincerely appreciated. Knowing you have been here is what keeps me posting. Thank you for taking the time.