10.16.2020

Haiku my Heart - Simple Things

 

Now, one moon ago
blue jay perched on birdbath rim
taking long cool drink



source:pixabay.com


For a long time I have wanted a birdbath to place among the foliage in my yard.  Usually, other $$$ things came first, so it went to the bottom of the list. But a few months ago, in Home Depot, I made an impulse buy and finally I had my birdbath! I placed it in a sort of private place among the fronds and branches in the back  yard, where I could see it from a window. No visitors. It sat for weeks and weeks, birds singing and flying all around, but no birdbath visitors. So I moved it. I put it in the front  yard, near the porch. No visitors. It sat forever, with not even a lizard (and we have plenty of those) taking a sip.

Recently, our household has undergone a serious, sudden health crisis, and I have been worried and anxious. Anxiety takes a toll on a person, bringing about emotional and dramatic upheaval in one's life making it difficult to be calm and not fearful. 

But, day before yesterday a bluejay came. He flew from the rooftop and came to the birdbath quenching his thirst on a hot day. I know this bird act has nothing really to do with my own anxieties, but just the fact that this beautiful wild thing came to my birdbath and accepted the gift of water I left him gave me calm and a bit of peace in my heart.  Sometimes, it's just the small things.......


linked with
Friday Haiku
Please visit and enjoy


💓

Go with Grace and Blessings



10 comments:

  1. Beautiful in words...and awesome bird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One suggestion: you may have the bird bath TOO near to bushes and plants, and the birds aren't coming for the same reason we tend to avoid dark spooky streets: they don't trust what might be lurking there. You might consider moving it to a more open-underfoot (or underwing, if you prefer) area. We love the look of the birdbath nestled, but to the birds, it's a potential trap.
    I used to hang mine from a tree limb, well out of the way of bushes and predators, and it worked very well.

    And I hope your crisis passes gently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little things are HUGE in my world.
    We have had our bird bath up for months. The pigeons found it quickly, but other birds are only just taking advantage of it.
    I do hope that your family health crisis has been resolved.
    And thank you for the haiku and the image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photo of the bluejay and delightful haiku ~ love your bird bath and nature does have a way of healing ~ even for a brief moment ~ what a treasure ~ Xox

    Live each moment with love,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray for your handsome new visitor, and for those glimmers of hope, whenever and however they show up in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the universe is really good at giving us wee-giant gifts when we need them most. So, it doesn’t matter if one act has little to do with the other. Like you suggest, a gift is a gift is a gift...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nature can often make a positive impact on our lives if we just slow down and pay attention. Best wishes for good health.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, sometimes it is just the small things ...
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are sincerely appreciated. Knowing you have been here is what keeps me posting. Thank you for taking the time.