5.21.2021

Haiku my Heart - The Robin

 both of us were still
with bright bead eyes he watched me
that tiny wild thing


I have borrowed some words, and an idea for haiku, from a sweet little book I'm reading. As background here, my husband bought me a book, surprise, recently when I mentioned my favorite book as a (pre-teen?) was The Secret Garden.



 I read it again. It was delightful. This time, I really paid attention to the surroundings in the secret garden. And became infatuated with the robin.

At the end of the book I read that the author herself had  become infatuated with the robin she had made part of the garden, and wrote a short story about it. Of course, I had to read that too. 


I'm still into this delightful little twenty-some page story. Even more delightful is the fact I could pull words from hers, and make a current day haiku. 



Never think that because  you may be "all grown  up" that you would not like a children's book. Try it. Bet you will find it as interesting and sweet as if you were a kid again. 

linked this  haiku Friday with
recuerda mi corazon
Hoping you will visit 
Rebecca's haiku page


Blessings for your weekend and beyond


11 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this, Judie! The Secret Garden is one of my all time favorite stories. I have read it so many times I couldn't even tell you! But the little robin book intriques me and I am off to find a copy! Thank you for taking me into the wild garden with your delightful haiku and post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this JC. I have heard of the Secret Garden, but never read it. Now I have to and My Robin. Thank you for the precious post! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore children's books and have some that I reread regularly.
    I don't know My Robin. Thank you. I will investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Judie, I remember that book and I now I want to re-read it too. Maybe even in English ('cause I read it in Dutch as a child...) Thanks for reminding me of it, and your haiku is delightful!
    Something else now: don't be afraid of a cataract surgery... with me, it all went smooth and was done in no-time... the nurse who put drops in my eyes before the surgery took place, needed more time for that than the actual surgery (that took about 20 minutes.) You don't feel a thing and see only bright lights as they do the job. But I don't know how it's exactly done at your place (I'm in the Netherlands.) Anyway, it's soooo worth to have your eyes corrected, I see bright colours now and have sharp vision again! Good luck dear!! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read The Secret Garden but was obsessed with A Little Princess when I was younger. LOL, I sometimes do go back and re-read childhood favorites when the mood hits me. I have a longing to pick up Anne of Green Gables again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is a wonderful book ~ Kudos to hubby ~ Lovely haiku ~ Xo

    Happy Weekend to you,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a lovely haiku, and I can feel the mood of The Secret Garden in every line.

    Also, I love the closing note. And believe it all the way to my bones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like robins, they are my favourite bird.
    Lovely Haiku.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed!! I agree, no matter what age we are we still find enchantment with children's lit.

    Love your Robin haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a blessing it is when a wild thing watches us fearlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. just yesterday morning our resident blue jay joined me at the outdoor table in the garden. after sharing peanuts for weeks with this beautiful scrappy jay he took the leap and now takes my offerings from my open palm. it is intriguing this desire to commune with life around us. and yes- now i too will join the secret garden book club as it has been a childhood favorite all these years. hugs from my garden to yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are sincerely appreciated. Knowing you have been here is what keeps me posting. Thank you for taking the time.