6.26.2020

Haiku my Heart--Trees


distant sounds echo
 deep within the green forest
loggers drawing near

I am a tree hugger. Perhaps not in reality, but at least in my mind. Trees are majestic works of nature's art. I hate to see them cut down.

pen and ink and watercolor

We All Need a Tree

I hired a carpenter to do some work, and on his first day on the job a flat tire made him lose an hour of work, his electric drill quit and his pickup truck refused to start.

I drove him home and he sat in stony silence. On arriving, he invited me in to meet his family. As we walked toward the front door, he paused briefly at a small tree, touching the tips of the branches with both hands. 

When entering his home, he underwent an amazing transformation.  His face was wreathed in smiles as he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss. 

Afterward he walked me to the car. We passed the tree and my curiosity got the better of me, so I asked him about what I had seen him do earlier. 

"Oh, that's my trouble tree," he replied. "I know I can't help having troubles on the job, but one thing's for sure, those troubles don't belong in the house with my family. So I just hang them up on the tree every night when I come home and ask God to take care of them.  Then in the morning I pick them up again. Funny thing is," he smiled," when I come out in the morning to pick them up, there aren't nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before."
                                                        author unknown

linked with
Please visit and enjoy



Blessings





15 comments:

  1. dearest, thank you so much for your tender heart. this story is priceless. i'm afraid we will need a majestic canopy of giant old groves to hold all the woes the world is experiencing now. please take care and stay safe. love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tree hugger here too ~ lovely artwork and post and delightful haiku and great idea too!

    Be Safe, Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yes, another tree hugger here. I live in the middle of clear cut logging... and I see changes for the better but they are not as much as my heart longs for... with Covid I have not been able to visit my favorite close by strand of CA Redwoods, one of my most holy places to visit. Your haiku has brought them up in my heart and this story... is amazing. Thank you for these dear Judie. Blessings to your tree hugging heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, and a tree hugger and fear the elimination of all that glorious foliage! Wonderful haiku! Have a grand weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you.
    For this entire post which speaks loudly to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, endearing haiku. If only the world would learn to respect & save the trees & ALL natural wonders. But, greed and selfishness blinds most.

    Thank you so much for stopping by to visit & taking time to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    Hubby and I are tree huggers. The trees are needed for us and the wildlife. Enjoy your day, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely post …

    Throughout my life I have been so fortunate to live near trees, and I do appreciate that.

    Have a happy weekend and enjoy these last few days of June.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. My regular walks with my dog always include mentally saying hi to the trees. I've sat under a few when my dog got tired and left a couple of worries under their boughs. I was really upset when my townhouse association decided to randomly cut some of them down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deforestation always makes me growl.

    I really like the closing fable. Everyone should have a trouble tree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luv trees also and had the opportunity while on a book club outing to tree hug. Ah but trees sometimes sadly must go

    much❧✿❧love

    ReplyDelete
  12. The land company that owns acres and acres of woods that lie between my house and the main road recently clear cut vast swathes of timber. Every time I drive past, I feel ill. As I understand it, they can't build homes on it for six years and they won't replant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A forest should only have sounds of birds and rustling leaves...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, why can't we leave the forests in peace?!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are sincerely appreciated. Knowing you have been here is what keeps me posting. Thank you for taking the time.