9.04.2020

Haiku my Heart - The Secret of Poetry

 in roadway puddles
crows enjoy refreshing drinks
after morning rain

                   *
*source deposit photos
  by gow27

"The secret of poetry lies in treading the middle path between the reality and the vacuity of the world.  When you are composing a verse, let there not be a hair's breadth separating your mind from what you write.  Quickly say (write) what is in your mind; never hesitate a moment. Composition must occur in an instant."
                                                ............Basho on Poetry

Matsuo Basho (1644-1694) had it right, all those many years ago. Understanding nature such as rivers and mountains, and appreciating a falling leaf or petal, is what makes me want to write poetry. Reflection on these things bring love and even gratitude to my mind and my pen. I especially love haiku because one can read these few syllables and imagine an entire story.
Again in Basho's words: "When we observe calmly, we discover that all things have their fulfillment." 
And it is so. 

Linked with



acrylic




Practice kindness every day









17 comments:

  1. I love this Judie. All of it. And crows/ravens... are truly one of my favorite birds, but then I could say that about every species... I love your painting. I love that you love birds so much and bring them to me in so many different ways... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creatures take their water where they find it. We keep a fountain running in the backyard so that hummingbirds, crows, and other birds can keep hydrated, especially in the Labor Day weekend heat wave here in Southern California. Your haiku crows are lucky to find that puddle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really wonderful photo! I love the birds in our back yard play in the bird bath!Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the crows. Members of this corvid family are always welcomed by me.
    Someone (Rumi?) said that poetry is the language of our heart. Which makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. practicing kindness and sharing your love for crows and morning rain!
    hugs and hope from your friend in prescott, az.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! I was there...after the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So familiar, luv this

    (✿◠‿◠)

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely haiku about the crows and rain ~ great quote from Basho and delightful acrylic artwork ^_^

    Live each moment with love,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a friend who has pet Crows. They feed them cat food. The haiku was good.

    I wanted to make sure you know beauty berries and poke weed berries are not the same thing. Although poke berries are pretty, they are very poisonous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful haiku, I love see birds drink... it's somehow comforting to see nature still goes it's own way. Big hug from the Netherlands!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this image of contented crows, drinking up their reward for putting up with the rain. It reminds me of how I feel having a cup of tea after a long day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the birds at play. It's super hot in New York City. I could certainly use a cooling puddle... All right, maybe a pond would be better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely photograph, a great sketch and I enjoyed your words.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many creatures would be out of luck without that morning rain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made me smile again! Thanks my friend! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are sincerely appreciated. Knowing you have been here is what keeps me posting. Thank you for taking the time.