1.29.2021

Haiku my Heart - Nature

 dragonfly holds tight
on branch floating downriver
whitewater ahead

rainbow-hued wings spread
enhanced by water droplets
ready to fly now



*internet photo


When I was searching for a picture of a dragonfly to go with the haiku, I found hundreds to choose from. I did not know there were so many different dragonflies, such as darners and skimmers, aka meadowhawks, flame skimmers, ebony jewelwings, roseate, and so on. And...I did not know that dragonflies live only about six months. Such beautiful insects.  The coolest thing I found was a couple of paintings (and I know there are plenty more) that I wanted to put here. So pretty. Good job Mother Nature, and artists.


beautiful work by Dean Crouser



and this by J. Neesing?


and this by Mother Nature (istock photos)





linked for haiku Friday with
Rebecca and friends
Please visit and join in

Go with grace and may many blessings follow you.



14 comments:

  1. dear heart,
    your love for nature comes shining through your every haiku offering. there are several ponds in our view from home and the dragonflies of summer are welcome visitors in our garden. thank you for your generous heart that seems to know me so well. my lap and my arms feel so empty and long for my loyal purring loving Jackson. he, like you, was a continual source of limitless love and comfort. i am forever grateful for you both. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the lovely haiku to the dragonfly and beautiful photos/art of one of nature's gems1

    Moment by Moment ~

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They epitomise the ephemeral magic that nature bestows on us don't they.
    and I love your haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dragonflies so very much. I did not know there life span was 6 months. I love that they come up from the muck, splitting their larva to emerge as winged rainbow wonders... I had a whole bunch land on me once, while I was kayaking. Small ones, medium ones, and giant ones that were a bit much... one of the most wondrous moments in my life. You and your haiku, took me right back to that moment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your haiku are delightful. Thanks for the dragonfly info

    Muchđź’–love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for Summer to come so there will be dragonflies to spot - I didn't know they lived only 6 months... thanks for the wonderful haiku and images! Hug from Holland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful not only of your haiku but the art/photography you found.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This gives me a warm feeling on this icy cold winters day. I can't wait to see dragons again. It won't be long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will be a few more months before I get to see one not on a computer screen, but I do love the sight of them in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 6 months? I didn't know that! They are so beautiful! Love your words! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that the second haiku shows the dragonfly on its way to freedom. The first haiku--the whitewater!--had me worried.

    And the brightly painted dragonfly is a delight to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When you know the rapids are coming, you hang on tight. Unfortunately, sometimes we (and the dragonflies) get caught off guard.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are sincerely appreciated. Knowing you have been here is what keeps me posting. Thank you for taking the time.