8.23.2021

Haiku my Heart - Raptor

in the southern wild
a crested caracara
flaunts his handsome self



In all the  years I have lived in Florida, my entire life, I have never seen a crested caracara, in fact did not know they were native here. Now that I know, I am anxious to see one, although that may be awhile because I understand they live in South Central Florida, and I live in West Central. I don't think they are coastal birds. And I won't be getting to Texas, Arkansas, Mexico (their National bird), Cuba or Panama any time soon either. 

This gorgeous, majestic, kingly looking bird is actually a falcon, with a four foot wingspan and long legs. He's a carrion eater, and steals partially digested food from pelicans, digs up turtle eggs, and eats other small animals like rats, armadillos, frogs, skunks, etc. Just to see one of these in the wild, with its flat head, orange face, and pointy blue beak, would be exciting to me. ok. I'm just weird. It doesn't take much to make me happy.

So, two caracara were getting ready to migrate for the season. After talking it over, they decided they were too old to fly all the way so they decided to take a plane.  As they were about to board the aircraft, the flight attendant noticed they were each carrying a dead armadillo. She asked, "would you like to check those through as luggage?"
"No thanks," the caracara replied. "They're carrion".

ok ok I borrowed this (and edited) from 
Maggie Van Ostrand (c) 2010

linked with
Please visit to find more haiku
but no caracara!


caracara photo source:
wikipedia.org and allaboutbirds.org


 


 

13 comments:

  1. That is a MAJESTIC raptor and would make my day. I smiled at the joke too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are abundant in Texas! I have posted many photos of them at my bird blog...just click on my bird photo link and scroll down to them on my list if you are interested. Great haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite the bird ~ sweet photo and lovely haiku ~ Xo

    Living in the moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is a striking fellow! I get excited seeing any sort of hawk or falcon in the wild. LOL, at the pun. I have to share it with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a striking bird the crested caracara is.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stunner! I'd love to see it in the flesh.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, the joke was so good (and so much my family's kind of joke) that I read it to them and the laughter was quite riotous. And if wanting to see this beauty is weird, then we shall be weird together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are weird... then I am really weird. Can we be weird together? I am soooooo late to last Friday, but am I ever glad I got here before next Friday, which is for me in 2.5 hours from now. I have never heard of our seen a Caracara. I would have thought they would be further south, like the Amazon! They are amazing! I love your haiku and the joke... is just great. Hope to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's allowed to flaunt his beauty, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i watched a run runner race across an open expanse and suddenly unfurled it's expansive wings to soar above the landscape. the wing feathers were exquisite and bold in their sharp points and fierce coloring. i thought of you and how much you would love to have shared this moment right beside me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your joke! LOL!
    I think this bird is very handsome! I love the hair due! LOL!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are sincerely appreciated. Knowing you have been here is what keeps me posting. Thank you for taking the time.