9.03.2021

Haiku my Heart - A Feather Story

 a wise man told me
sacred gifts from the divine
might be found feathers


I found this lovely feather in the grass. I read that black and white feathers mean protection. I hope someone is watching over me. I don't know what kind of bird it came from. Maybe a woodpecker? Maybe you know. One has nested for a long time in my camphor tree. Finding it reminded me of a poem I wrote some time ago, about finding a feather. Please allow me to share it here.



FEATHER

 I watched a soft, white feather
lift and twist in the breath of an unseen breeze.
It rose from the ground in a silent protest,
unable to resist.

Catching the sunlight in its warm center,
this feather briefly reflected soft, rainbow hues
against the white of its self,
turning, swirling,
wrapped in the embrace of its captor.

 The gentle breeze, tiring of the game,
brought the feather tenderly to my feet,
a gift of nature.
I watched in whispered silence
as the softness settled in the grass
and the breeze passed by in search of another tumbler,
Leaving me a sense of peace.


linked this haiku friday with
Rebecca


Blessings and be well on this holiday weekend. Maybe you will find a special feather. 





19 comments:

  1. It's a lovely haiku. I don't know if what the wise man said is true or not, but he IS wise, so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your poem. And do view feathers as a gift. A generous gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the haiku and poem Judie. I like knowing this. I have been finding a lot of black and white feather of late. Most of them are polka dots! And some stripes, but they really stand out. Thank you for these gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy that you feel gifted with the discovery of feathers
    Have a nice weekend

    much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that rainbow bird art...did you do that?
    Oh my, the poetry you shared of your is phenomenal. I loved it. You painted it so well I could actually "see" drifting along.

    Your feather haiku is awesome too.

    (Yes, I saw that NATURE program too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a gorgeous feather! Around here, it's usually dove feathers. They also leave "gifts" on my car.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a beautiful blog. I'll be back. Thanks for visiting. Because of your comment I relaized I hadn't labeled all of Maria's journals. So I went and did that.
    Here is a link to the whole series of Maria's Journals.
    https://ayearofsandyskeches.blogspot.com/search?q=maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. That poem brings the reader in to that feeling of peace you had. I always find a lot of blue jay feathers in every place that I've lived.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The haiku and the closing poem are lovely. I really love the sense of peace both pieces bring on.

    And I'm pretty sure is a woodpecker feather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful. I can see the image of the feather gracefully falling. My guess is a woodpecker too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! Thank you for your words and for sharing your feather! Love!!! I do feel peaceful! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. may we all find gifts of peace and encouragement and may we all be watched over, guided and protected. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do think feathers are gifts. I have been gifted a hawk feather. Lovely haiku

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your lovely haiku.

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a nice looking feather.
    It's a lovely Haiku and I enjoyed the poem too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. "this feather briefly reflected soft, rainbow hues
    against the white of its self,"

    i loved all the small details in this poem, and the soft feel of everything. very well written. also, i really enjoyed your artwork, it's really beautiful, i like your style, youre quite talented.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are sincerely appreciated. Knowing you have been here is what keeps me posting. Thank you for taking the time.