7.07.2023

Haiku my Heart - Eagle Frenzy

Yes, that's me lately. In a frenzy over bald eagles. Uncontrolled excitement to draw and paint them, watch videos of flying, research them to understand their behavior, their colors for my art, and..ok...a haiku. Why not?


soaring high above
telescopic eye searching
wind through his feathers


acrylic

Even though I have been a long, long time fan of all eagles, this latest passion seems to have started with Harriet (above), the bald eagle from the SWFlorida eagle cam that disappeared leaving two babies behind. (Dad Ozzie saved the day and raised them to fledge).  

Did you know why eagles always look mad? Its because they have a boney ridge called the supraorbital ridge above their eye, the purpose of which is to help shade their eyes from sun so as not to hinder their vision while hunting.  Eagles can see 8 times further than humans (about 2 miles) and they have the ability to "zoom" their eyesight. That's amazing!  Run, rabbit, run!

Of course, you probably already knew that.

pastel
Calling my People ... mixed media (from a video of one bird)
Double Eagle...acrylic (sold)

See what wild behavior I have  been having? I even made a bald eagle spirit doll out of sticks and fabric and beads and feathers and polymer clay. But I truly have loved every miniute of this bird behavior. 

And not to forget my backyard birds (never!), they have a little Free Bird Seed tray hanging on a jasmine branch, held by a non-violent dog, that gets filled every morning with Miss Charli's leftovers. The resident blue jay is usually the first to visit, and he loves blueberries!



Have a WONDERFUL day!!

***










 

7 comments:

  1. OMG! Luv where your eagle interest is taking you. Looking forward to more.
    Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday.
    If you have eagle smiles link up on Sunday there will be a linky for Sunday Smiles
    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely soaring haiku and awesome art and photos of the eagles ~ great info too ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW I love your haiku - and your creations. And raptors. And birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely Haiku, and an interesting post.

    All the best Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful post and lovely Haiku. I love your crazy eagle.You should link this to my FFO so more people can see your art. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no. I wonder what happened to Harriet. Good thing both parents stay to help so at least the eaglets had dad. Your drawings are amazing also. And I didn't know about that bone. Hmmm. I wonder if hawks have the same bone. I'm off to look that up. Happy new week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your artwork and the eagles, absolutely outstanding! I read somewhere about Ozzie raising his two chicks. A wonderful story and one I appreciate you sharing here. I love your haiku.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are sincerely appreciated. Knowing you have been here is what keeps me posting. Thank you for taking the time.