7.15.2023

Haiku my Heart - A Little Girl's Dream

 paper birch forest
overlooks a singing stream
listen for birdsong



oil on canvas

 Well, you may wonder what a birch forest has to do with that title "a little girl's dream", so I'll tell you a story about that, a true story.

Long time ago when I used to paint in oils I decided to try the art show outdoor circuit. Enticed because I worked at an art center, and for awhile I was even in charge of the outdoor show they put on once a year. A fun job, and exciting show. So here I am, with my paintings all set up in a sweet display, a beautiful day, a few small sales. Then a dad with his daughter, maybe about 10 years old, came along looking for a painting to hang in her bedroom. I gathered it was a new room or a redecorate and she seemed excited to choose. So...dad chose. He chose this woodsy painting. I dont recall the dimensions but it was rather large. Now, if I were 10 years old I would not choose this painting for my bedroom. I would want something 10 year oldish. But dad ruled. "Look at the purple flowers",  he said. The little girl resisted, but dad had his way. They went home with a really nice painting, a smile on dad's face, and downturned corners to the little girl's non-smile. I  hoped she would find what she really wanted. 

And then, Mother Nature decided to punish me for selling that painting!!! It was March, the show was in a park across the street from the beach, and the typical March wind came around like the typical lion, blew over my display, and caused a rip in a couple of my canvas paintings. It was my first show, and I decided it was my last. Disappointing a little girl, then having my display ruined, was enough for me. I picked up my stuff, tucked my tail between my legs, and went home. The whole thing was just not worth it for me. 

So, that's what a birch forest had to do with a little girl's dream. Now and ever since then, I paint, I place some in a gallery, and I sell them on line. Here and there. Just whatever makes me (and the buyer) happy with no push, no stress, and a lot of calm. 

And, since (you know) I'm a bird lover, I painted my macaw Miss Charli. But it is not going anywhere. She stays right here with me!

Miss Charli   11x14 acrylic on gal wrap





HAVE A BLESSED DAY!












7 comments:

  1. That is so sad, :-( That the little girl wasn't thrilled about it, and that you no longer do art shows outdoors. I wonder if the little girl grew up to love it, I wonder if you might do a show outside one day...

    And I love that painting of Miss Charli. She looks so happy, smiling as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course Miss Charli stays with you - and she has a permanent home in your heart.
    Your haiku speaks to me. Now. I am not sure what my younger self would have though. I took trees and brooks for granted then...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Charli is beautiful ~ such creative work! Wow! Lovely haiku and I find something magical about the birch tree painting that might appeal eventually to the little girl ~ that winding path ~ magical. Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your haiku is perfect and satisfying. Thank you for your kind comment. I'm very glad to visit here and to follow you! Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope my earlier comment came through okay and didn't end up in spam folder ...

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting story. I would have loved that forest painting but understand why a little girl may want something different. But she may love it. I love that parrot painting. You definitely have a talent.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are sincerely appreciated. Knowing you have been here is what keeps me posting. Thank you for taking the time.